CBD as a treatment for anxiety
- Cannabidiol (CBD) is commonly used against anxiety , and various studies show that this cannabinoid has properties that can help in the fight against anxiety , in addition to being able to also be a good support to combat stress, insomnia and chronic pain.
- Although more clinical studies are still needed, there is a lot of preclinical research with evidence that CBD can be a great ally to help combat various types of anxiety, such as generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and phobias (such as anxiety Social).
- Products such as CBD oil or CBD flowers could also be beneficial in helping to reduce other disorders that are not directly classified as anxiety disorders, but in which increased anxiety plays a key role, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder. -compulsive and also post-traumatic stress.
- Likewise, among medical professionals, the idea is shared that there is still a long way to go to be able to affirm all these conclusions absolutely.
Types of anxiety and how CBD reduces it
Generalized anxiety disorder: We all worry, it is part of human nature: health, family, work, money… However, in the case of people with generalized anxiety disorder, these worries are excessive and dominate your life on a daily basis.
Phobias: People who suffer from a phobia have an intense fear of something that for people without this disorder represents little or no real danger. Your fear may be of animals, of flying, of closed spaces, or of open spaces… Social anxiety belongs to this category, the intense fear of interacting with strangers because you feel embarrassed or humiliated.
Effect of CBD on generalized anxiety disorder
There are studies that support the effect of CBD on anxiety . A study was carried out with 48 subjects, who were stimulated a first time by showing them a colored box and applying an electric shock when they saw that box to trigger anxiety and 48 hours later they were presented with the same box but without the shock. Some participants had used CBD and others had not. On the second occasion, anxiety was much lower in the group that had taken CBD.
Therefore, it is considered that CBD could also be useful to help in the early treatment of post-traumatic stress.
Social anxiety is in fact one of the most widespread anxiety disorders . Those who suffer from them know that it is quite disabling, because it affects daily life and also productivity at work.
In a study carried out by Brazilian and Spanish researchers, a reduction in anxiety was shown in a group of people who were subjected to a simulated public presentation test.
Participants in the study were divided into groups between those who did not use any CBD, those who used a placebo, and those who used CBD.
Study participants who used CBD experienced “a significant reduction in anxiety, cognitive impairment, and discomfort during their public presentation.”
How to use CBD to reduce anxiety
The book “ CBD: A patient’s guide to Medical Cannabis ” by the authors Leinow & Birnbaum recommends the method of progressively increasing the dose of CBD, gradually increasing until the desired effects are achieved.
In fact, the authors specifically recommend starting with CBD microdoses precisely for anxiety-related disorders.
First of all, before using CBD:
– The user must inform himself of the current legislation in the country in which he lives, since for example in Spain, the law only allows commercialization for topical or aromatic use.
– The user must understand that CBD products, accessible to the general public, should not be considered medicines and should never be a substitute for a treatment indicated by a medical professional.
Recommendations for using CBD in case of anxiety disorder
If we use CBD for anxiety, it is very important to make sure that the product we choose does not have a percentage higher than 0.2%-0.3% of THC (depending on the country) . A higher amount of this cannabinoid that, unlike CBD, does have psychotropic effects, and would be counterintuitive for treating anxiety.
In fact, in Europe, the limits of THC contained in products with cannabinoids should never legally exceed these proportions.
We must remember the difference between psychoactive and psychotropic effect . The first is produced by various foods and substances that can lead to benefits for well-being. Psychotropic refers to the effect we know as “being high”, which is produced by THC, but not by CBD (Cannabidiol).
Legislation on the use of CBD in Spain
Under Spanish law, CBD must only be used as a topical product on the skin. CBD buds, resins or flowers are a product for aromatic, decorative or collecting use.
CBD products sold without a prescription should never be considered medical products or substitutes for professionally prescribed treatments.
CBD should not be used by pregnant women or minors. For particular cases and questions, consult your doctor.
To enjoy the effects of cbd oil, under the Spanish legal framework, we must put the necessary drops on the affected area. In case of looking for a relaxing and/or sleep aid effect, we must put the necessary drops on the chest and massage gently.
To enjoy the effects of cbd resins and flowers, under the Spanish legal framework, they must be opened from their original packaging and allow their aromas to be detectable by the olfactory sense. Its aromas potentially generate sensations and will act on the endocannabinoid system.
Visit our guide on the use and legislation of CBD products to understand your responsibility as a consumer.