If you find it difficult to drink the amount of water you need according to your weight, you can prepare flavored waters with fruits or teas, to make it easier for you to drink. do not add sugar
The needs of each person when drinking water vary depending on each body. However, at a general level and according to popular wisdom, it is accepted that an adult person needs around 2 liters of water a day.
Between 60 and 70% of our body is water and for it to function properly it is necessary to keep this proportion balanced. Find out in this article how much water you should drink a day. Keep reading!
It is true that water is necessary to keep us hydrated and vital. However, there are those who make the mistake of consuming more water than their body needs to fulfill its functions, as confirmed by this research carried out by the University of Guadalajara (Mexico).
This is important because it may be some kind of disorder, as suggested. For this reason, today we want to tell you some interesting information so that you can learn to consume the right amount of water according to your weight.
Drink water according to your weight
It is believed that the body weight of each one has a lot to do with the amount of water they should drink daily.
For example, a thin person would not need to drink the same amount of water as someone with a higher body weight. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this kind of approach.
Those who defend these theories affirm that to know the exact number to drink water in a healthy way according to your body weight, you need to take the value of your weight in pounds and divide it by two. The result of this mathematical operation would be equal to the number of ounces of water that your body needs daily.
Formula to remember: (Body weight in pounds) / (2) = Amount of daily water in ounces.
For example: A person weighs 116 pounds (52 kg) and divides his weight into 2 parts; as a result it gives 58 ounces (26 kg), which in other measures comes to about 5 glasses per day.
However, as we have already mentioned, there is no reliable evidence to ensure the veracity of this. For its part, certain studies establish that the water needs of each person vary according to various factors such as age or sex, and not only according to body weight.
Particular cases and exceptions
In case of practicing some type of sport or doing intense exercise , it is recommended to consume an additional liter of water for each hour of sport.
If you do not include many fruits and vegetables in your diet, you should consume at least 2 liters of water daily.
Drink at least one glass of water every time you feel thirsty, since this mechanism is the main physiological regulator of water needs.
Hydration is essential if we suffer from any disease or have low defenses. In fact, this study carried out by the Completeness University of Madrid establishes a correlation between hydration and a lower incidence of certain diseases.
Recommendations to drink water easily
We already know the simple formula to determine how much water we need per day. Now, the idea is that you start consuming this amount of water to stay hydrated.
However, many people forget to drink enough water or find it difficult. Therefore, here are some tips for you to meet the daily goal.
- A good idea is to drink a glass of water before each meal. This way it will be more difficult to forget this good habit. In addition, it will contribute to a better metabolism of meals.
- Another option that you can adopt is to drink a glass of water on an empty stomach and another before going to bed . However, it is convenient that you supplement it with more water throughout the day to achieve the recommended amount of water.
- If your drawback is the fact that the water does not taste like anything, a good idea to take advantage of its benefits is to prepare flavored waters . However, make them without adding sugar. You can make them with fruits, herbs, or tea, among others. In addition, according to this study carried out by the Collegium de Postgraduates de México, there are indications that using these alternative drinks to replace sugary ones could serve to fight against Diabetes.
- If you forget that you should drink a certain amount of water during the day, make a kind of daily schedule. Mark the squares each time you drink a glass of water.
- Always carry a container of water with you and try to drink a liter of water in the morning.
- In addition to drinking water, follow a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables , as they provide a large amount of fluids.
How do we know if we drink enough water?
The best way to know if we are dehydrated or well hydrated is through urine . For this it is important to take into account the frequency with which we go to the bathroom and its color.
For example, if the urine is very light yellow, it indicates that we are well hydrated. For its part, a dark yellow color in the urine and a strong odor can indicate that we need to drink more water, according to this study carried out by the National University of Colombia.
In case of noticing dry skin and lips, feeling fatigued and unable to concentrate during day-to-day activities, it is also advisable to increase water consumption. These are clear symptoms of dehydration .